Aug 17, 2012

Banana Breakfast

PJ woke up so happy this morning.  While we got ready for our day he played around us, giggling and just being happy.  During our morning routine PJ gets some sort of breakfast; today was a banana.  While we got ready PJ plays and every few minutes he comes over and requests a bite of banana and then goes on his way.  So this morning he ate the entire banana, while dancing and playing with Cheyenne.

Fast forward about 20 minutes later and be thankful I didn't have the extra hands to take any pictures. 

I am looking in my rear view mirror about to change lanes, when I notice PJ put his fingers in his mouth and then a few moments later he coughs and the entire breakfast banana is now on the outside, all over his outfit, the car seat and quickly getting into his hands, which in turns gets in his hair. It took me 5 mintues to get to the exit and pull over.  Within that time, PJ was covered head to toe in banana vomit, half happy to play in this wierd feeling stuff and half upset that he covers in this wierd feeling stuff.
As I proceed to get him out and strip him from his banana vomit covered outfit his mood turns to sheer delight.  He is waving and clapping at all the big trucks surrounding us since I have found a truck stop to pull into for the clean up.  So here we are in the truck parking lot, little man is in just his diaper and sneakers waving at everyone.  I have his diaper bag out looking for a new outfit and what I can use to clean up the mess.  Thank goodness I have an extra bib, a burp cloth, a muslin balnket and a lot of wipes.  While I get to work cleaning up the mess as much as possible to get the boy back in the seat; PJ is emptying the diaper bag, bringing me each item as if its a treasure.  After about 3 items were removed, he found the goldfish.  Thank goodness for goldfish!  PJ started eating, which was a relief for so many reasons: I knew he wasn't actually sick, he had a great distraction and he stopped emptying the diaper bag. 
The sweetest part of all of this is that PJ stayed very close to me.  For the most part he hugged my leg or was bringing me things the entire time.  PJ being a typical toddler could have run off.  I am proud to say I didn't have to chase him.  In fact PJ was being so good that at one point I called out his name rather sternly because he wasn't in my line of sight, but that was because he was right at my feet being really quiet just hanging, eating goldfish.  I had to stop what I was doing right then and give PJ a hug so he knew I wasn't mad but instead so happy he was such a good boy. 
I am so grateful I was able to stop and hug my sweet boy and just embrace the moment of ridiculousness.  Just as I was just starting to get into my own head about how awful the mess was and how late I was going to be to work, PJ's sweet face looked up at me and it all washed away. 
In about 15 minutes we were all back in the car, dirty clothes in a bag, wipes disposed of, and best of all little man trying to sing The Lumineer song "Ho Hey".

No comments:

Post a Comment